Thursday, April 28, 2011

this blog started out as a photoblog about avery. but, as time has passed it's almost been a place of reflection. today is just another thursday. but, it also marks ten years since my dad passed away. i told mark last night what today was and that i needed to call my mom and he asked if i was okay. we laid there and i thought about the last ten years and how much has happened. i graduated high school, graduated from the business school at UT, worked at one the big 4 accounting firms, moved a couple of times, got married and had a beautiful daughter, and have another on the way. i know he was proud of me and i know he would be proud, especially that i became a longhorn! if you look at my resume i did everything right. i graduated early, got a great job, every parents dream, right? that's what you think your parents measure you by when you're a kid. really, i think he would be proud because i am happy. i have the most supportive husband in the entire world. they are pretty similar when i stop and think about it. both accountants, both love spreadsheets and drawing charts, both have tempers (which i have seen both through a remote control). but, both love me more than i can describe. both push me to want to be a better person. i had a great father and now i'm married to one!

i am happy but there were many times that i wish he were here. i wish i could have seen him with avery. i wish he could be here to have a grandson and watch them grow up. he loved to give me talks. about school, marriage, life, kids, relationships. he always told me i was going to be successful in whatever i did and that relationships were the most important part of life, even in your work. i wish i could have grown up to really understand some of those talks. it's hard to understand when you're only 16. he taught me to always try your best (well, both my parents did). he taught me to be a christian and never lose faith. i hope mark and i can teach avery and blake these things. i know i'll see my dad again in heaven one day. so in the meantime i know he's watching down on us, especially avery.

i can't be sad on this day because i know he'd be proud of the person i have become because i know i am proud of myself.



No comments: