Wednesday, February 20, 2013

my brown eyed girl.

oh my sweet brown eyed girl. i'm pretty sure she knows how beautiful she is. but, she's at that age where she also sees differences. i honestly didn't think it would come this soon. what a great segway to explain god made her perfectly. and she is beautiful. and so is everyone else in their own special way. i thought she got it. and i know it's reinforced at school. until the day came. when i was putting her to bed because mark was gone and we went to say our prayers. and she said she wanted god to give her blue eyes so she could match with me. i, of course, thought it was cute. until, she kept repeating it. at the dinner table and randomly to me. every place we go people comment. not on her, but on her brother and his beautiful blue eyes. yes, they are beautiful but there is more to these kids than looks. she asks me a lot "how do i look?" of course we flood her with compliments and tell her she's beautiful everyday. because, of course she is. i shared with her teacher what she was saying because i wanted to address this is the correct way. i can't express how much i love her school and her teacher for taking the time to talk to her and tell her how beautiful she is. she said they played the eye color game at school. so thankful she goes to a christian school with teachers who care so much!

but, it breaks my heart. she's 3.5 and when asked if she loves her brown eyes she says no. i know this will pass. but, for the moment it's heart breaking and hard not to feel helpless because what i am saying is not getting through. it's also terrifying to think about the next 15 years. 

i was signing them up for preschool last week, and someone said to b, look at those big blue eyes. who did you get those from? they of course looked at me and then at avery. and said to her, well you must get those from your daddy. and her response, was "no, jesus gave me my brown eyes." i wanted to melt. man i hope she knows how perfect she is. how beautiful her heart is. how special she is. she's a pleaser. that's her personality. i pray she knows how much she is loved. 

february_6

on a much lighter note. she has her first boyfriend. his name will remain anonymous. but she says "she loves him." and i am thoroughly enjoying listening to her tell daddy all about him at dinner while he continues to say he can't be her boyfriend. she cries. it's so cute and hilarious! 

3 comments:

TheDueittFamily said...

She is so beautiful! I always wanted blue eyes like my sister and everyone would comment on her blue eyes. My mama used to tell me the same things. God gave me beautiful brown eyes and they are perfect. I love that Avery's teacher was so kind to lift her spirits and I just love Avery's comment that Jesus gave her beautiful brown eyes. She is so precious!

TheDueittFamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful, god gave you such wonderful blessings Aubrey!
I love her brown eyes!